OCTOBER 22, 2014
Dear Newport DL Leadership Team:
Fall Schedule. Please review our FALL schedule.
- Saturday, October 25 – We attend the RIDE Technology conference at the Providence Convention Center. Register here.
- Monday October 27 – Pell faculty, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 3 – Thompson faculty, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 5 – Rogers faculty, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 3 – DL Leadership Team, 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
1. Review and Comment. Review the notes from the Kickoff Meeting and add your notes and comments using the “Reply” function. Jennifer Booth has copies of Renee’s books for you to borrow- so please check out a book and do some reading before the next session OR visit the Media Education Lab website and explore the curriculum resources & materials she has created and the Lab’s publications.
2. Read. Read about a whole school Media and Information Literacy integration to learn more about how “stretch and tag” activities can help faculty and staff integrate digital literacy into existing curriculum. As you read, pay special attention to the AACRA model and the list of learning targets for 2 grade bands.
3. What’s Your Motivation? Take the online Digital Horoscope Quiz to reflect on your motivations for using digital media and technology in education. Consider how your motivations affect the choices you make in your work with students. If you can send me a screenshot of your motivation profile when you receive it, that will be a great way for me to get to know you better and prepare for our next get-together. Send to me at email@example.com
4. What do you want to learn? Highly-customized professional development is a luxury. Reflect on your own personal and professional goals as a Digital Literacy Catalyst Teacher for this year. Tell me: What do you want to learn and be able to do for your own goals re: digital literacy this year? Put your answer on the Flipgrid. No registration is required. Just click the green button to record.
5. Interview a colleague. Select a colleague to interview. Explain to them about the goals of the Digital Literacy Catalyst Teacher program and explain that you are gathering information about media, technology and digital literacy needs in theNewport Public Schools. Introduce them to the Flipgrid and encourage them to respond to these three questions:
- What is the best reason for using digital media and technology for teaching and learning today?
- What challenges do you experience in using digital media and technology?
- What do you want to learn more about and be able to do?